How does osteoporosis affect bones? Who is at risk? How does osteoporosis impact your life? FAQ
Understanding bone mineral density Assess your fracture risk Who diagnoses osteoporosis?
Who is at risk?

Osteoporosis can happen in both women and men. The truth is that at least one in two women and up to one in four men over the age 50 will have an osteoporosis-related fracture in their remaining lifetime. Some ethnicities are more prone to osteoporosis than others. For example, osteoporosis is more common in Caucasian and Asian women.

The number of Canadians with osteoporosis is staggering. Almost 2 million Canadians suffer from this disease.

Women are often diagnosed with osteoporosis after menopause when estrogen declines following menopause or when an insufficient dietary intake of calcium and vitamin D causes an imbalance between the removal of old bone and the creation of new bone, making bones weaker and more likely to break.

There are many women living with osteoporosis and are at a high risk for fracture that have not been diagnosed yet. Osteoporosis develops slowly, without pain or noticeable symptoms - often the first sign is a broken bone.

If you are past menopause, or in the transition years surrounding menopause (perimenopause) and haven't considered your
osteoporosis and fracture risk now is the time. If you need help with questions to ask your doctor,click here.

The information on this site is provided for informational and educational purposes only and does not, nor is it intended to be construed as medical, legal, or other professional advice, opinion or represent a comprehensive or complete statement of the issues addressed on this site. Use of this site is not a substitute for a call or visit to, or consultation with your physician or healthcare professional. You should not rely on this site or any other service offered by or through this site for medical diagnosis or treatment. You should never disregard or delay seeking medical advice because of something that you have seen on this site. Please consult with your doctor, or other qualified healthcare professional, to discuss any health concerns.